
Recently I've been on a race to find what it means to be BEAUTIFUL. I'm doing a presentation in my Sociology class about identifying beauty from a cross cultural perspective. Not only has this been an interesting topic to study, but also an eye opening experience. If you ask both men/women in America what they think is a beautiful person... a lot of people start blabbering about ideals. These idealistic characteristics or body traits which seem to pressure our society into thinking that, "blah blah blah" is beautiful. I've come to learn that this constant pressure to "BE" beautiful starts at a very young age. We all are victimized when it comes to being brainwashed within our own heads.
Ever since we hit the age of 3, us little girls adore our Barbies. We look up to them, try to match them, but most of all... want to be just like them! Not only do we want to look like Malibu Barbie, we want to live her too! Now whether we are 3 or 30, we still want to have her legs, or steal that million dollar smile. Along with looks, we wouldn't mind finding our own Ken somewhere in this world!... Unfortunately, things are much harder than the good days in the doll house. Our wishful thinking tends to let us down.

Over time, ideal body image has changed. For example, the marvelous Marilyn Monroe was a (US) size 12. This starlet would be considered "plus size", if she ever tried to break into the beauty biz of Hollywood now days. I think the main problem with all of this, is the fact that we bow down and accept it. By women trying to portray these 5'10'' long legged, big breasted Victoria Secret models, it gives men the opportunity to think that this (airbrushed) picture should be "his" reality. Giving in to this idea not only objectifies us as sex objects even more, but makes us as women, feel the need to be like that photo. By embracing it, we accept it, and that is the sad truth behind the beauty pressure upon us.

I may have a pretty face, but i don't fit into this ideal image. I'm 5'2'' not 5'10'', i would choose a steak over a salad, and rather sleep then burn off the calories. The truth is, no matter how hard anyone tries, NONE OF US will ever be "their" idea of Beautiful. I guess all I'm trying to say is... whether you're 8, 18, or 80 years old, define beauty in your "own" terms, not somebody else's. Know that you are beautiful both in a size 12 or a size 2, and never let the cosmetic, or dieting industries tell you anything different. After all... they are simply expert LIARS. (watch video below)
find the beauty in you



No comments:
Post a Comment