style="margin-top:40px
Be careful what you wish for... because you just might get it
RSS

Sunday, November 22, 2009

Plead To The Parents


Why You Should Grant Me The Opportunity to study abroad at the University of Oxford.

            Many people in this world dream about doing something, but never “really “ do it. We want things we will never obtain, and are minds become full of what we call, wishful thinking. My whole life I’ve become victim of this. I don’t know a lot (I may act like I do…but I don’t) the one thing I do know though, is that I’m good at dreaming. I dream and dream about things that usually don’t happen. I’m marvelous at creating stories that hopefully one day will be told. The problem is, most of my work, is all make believe. Once in a blue moon though, when God shines his light on me, I MAKE my dreams come true. You both have raised me to be strong and to never settle. That’s why I’m writing this to you. So to your dismay, you will have to endure it.

            There are multiple reasons I could blabber on about, but I will get straight to the point. Studying abroad for 3 months could be the greatest opportunity ever! Did you know it’s ranked as the number 1 university in all of UK? It even beats out its closest running competitor- Cambridge University. Not only is it the best, but the oldest surviving University in the English-speaking world. The date in which Oxford was found is still unclear, but can be researched back to the 11th century! If that isn’t enough, this historic University, which offers 38 colleges to choose from, consistently ranks in the world’s top 10!

            Just being able to see such a place would be a blessing within itself, but being able to say I actually was educated there, would be a remarkable experience! Having this on my resume, and applications for transfer admissions, would help me tremendously. Not many people can say they have studied abroad at one of the greatest Universities in the WORLD!

            I know what is going through your heads about now. You think all this information I’m sharing with you is great… but not great enough to let your 17-year-old daughter go. My whole life you’ve held on to me so tight, I need to experience something like this to find myself. I need to be able to go and accomplish something great, for me. Not to make someone else happy, but to make myself happy.  I’d love to argue with you about my age, but I hate numbers, so I’ll save your time.  All I will say is that my age has never hindered me before, and it shouldn’t start to now. I chose to graduate 1 year early from High School, please do not hold it against me. I know how much it makes you nervous, but I can tell you to not worry. I never would make a decision that I didn’t think I could handle. I know I can handle this with grace and intelligence. Not only would I be honored if you granted me the opportunity to study abroad, but I would be free! A girl like me wasn’t meant to stay put. 

            There’s only 1 time in your life when you’d be able to pack your bags and flee to another country, the time is now… while I’m young, while I’m free to do so. If I let this pass me by, it will be a huge mistake. I don’t want to be married with kids, wishing I had done something like this. I want to be married with kids, telling them my wonderful stories, just like you do Mom.

I’m used to hearing the words, “I don’t think so, Nicole. No.” They are often the inevitable answer, which concludes most the ideas I create. The only difference is, this isn’t me storytelling, this is something real, very real! So please don’t say no, cause if you turn me down, I don’t think I could just walk away and think, “awe darn, well at least I tried, another time.” There is no other time, because the time is now. We can’t live our lives off assuming, that later on you can do something. We have no idea what God has in store for us, but this wouldn’t have fallen in front of me for no reason. I need this. Please say yes, and support me in my race for higher education. Attending one of the top 10 Universities in the world, is pretty much reaching as high as that latter will climb, mom! I know you’d be proud. So let me go, we both need this, I’ll be ok… because wherever God’s light shines, I’ll be there to follow.


No comments: